We are here! We are in Nanning, Guangxi Province. The province of our daughter! The flight was good. Air China was very nice. We thought the Beijing Airport was very clean, very nice and very organized...we compare this to the Miami Airport! Flying and driving into Nanning, I felt like I was in the Philippines. I know I was only a baby when there, but this is how I envisioned it> And we are not very far from the PI from here. BeiHai, where Jingxin is from is even closer.
We are at the Best Western Red Forrest Hotel. It is very, very nice. and we are very comfortable. Some perks which are very improtant to me, is free internet and free bottled water. To Joey, a comfortable bed and AC!
It was long flight, and for a while I felt like we were on the Amazing Race trying to find our airline in LA. Yes, Joey and I had a blow out. But all is fine now. Getting around was actually more simpler in the China airports.
There were no personnel in Hazmat suits when we arrived, but young officials wearing uniforms, masks and goggles. They were armed with temperature guns and shot them at our foreheads to het our temps. Looked like we were a good group as no one was separated to be taken quaratine....as of this date and time....I am actually feeling sick tonight. I was feeling sick before we left and saw the MD to get some antibiotics. I went ahead and started them tonight. I know it is the stress...this is the biggest life change of my life!
Our GWCA guide met us and it was a 50 minute ride to the hotel. The roads were clean and landscaped and to me, did not look like a communist country (my memories of the Soviet Union in the 1980's). There was commercialism and advertising everywhere; we didn't see Chairman Mao anywhere yet...vs Lenin on every block in communist Russia.
Anyway, we arrived at our hotel at about 12:30 PM. The power in our room is powered by our door card. We got two of them, not for the power, but we are using it to keep the AC on while we are out, so the room will be cool when we get in. We unpacked and slept 10 PM ! We missed dinner, but had a Chinese beer (Tiger) at the hotel bar. We had good food on the flight (Chinese flight, none on US). We chose a local meal on the flight to our province...i'm guessing it was congee. We watched the locals mix the other foods with the congee. It was good.
We have free breakfast in the mroning. The local Walmart is across the street. We plan to go tomorrow and purchase some more water, snacks and more gifts for Jingxin. I'd like to have some Chinese DVDs here for here until we go shopping together. There are 4 families here in Nanning. They are touring in Biejing now and will arrive tomorrow. We go to the Bank tomorrow to exchange our $ for RMB for the orphanage donation. It is Sunday tomorrow..yes, the banks are open.
We meet Jingxin on Monday @ 2:30 PM. We will go to the Civil Affairs building. One family is adopting a 7 y/o from Nanning SWI. I am glad of this and hope we will get to spend lots of time with that family and the girls can play together in the hotel.
This server is slow, but I am gald to have it. I will try to post pictures,although I don't know if I will be able to. I am very excited about Jingxin Jingju skyping and hope to do that our first night.
Ok, more tomorrow. I am so happy to be here!!

I've been thinking about you all day! I'm so glad to hear your hotel is comfortable and you can just relax now and rest up for Jing Xin. If you don't mind cartoons a la the Road Runner (frying pans over the head), you must get Jing Xin "Pleasant Goat And Big, Big Wolf." Walmart will have it. Yeah! You're in China!!!
ReplyDeleteLisa
I am so THRILLED for you! She is such an angel and you guys are so fortunate to have found each other!!!! Keep us posted. <3
ReplyDeletem so happy for you guys and cannot wait for you to meet you daughter! Don't forget to email me if you have any questions or issues. I'l be here if you need me. If you don't have my email just click link on my blog. www.petalsandpigtail.com
ReplyDeleteI remember Nanning is so beautiful and is very different than Guangzhou. Have un and enjoy every minute!
Wow. Just found this blog via RQ. Your daughter is so beautiful and I mean that in every way. Looking at her photos makes me smile, even laugh! What a wonderful outlook she must have and will bring into your family. Will look forward to your Family Day!
ReplyDeletetori
Sandra and Joey,
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you. Can wait to see pictures and video (joey will be taking) of your daughter. My thoughts and prayer are with all three of you. Cindy