Sunday, August 9, 2009

Week 2 Home



Tessa has been doing very well. It's been a wonderfully busy week. Tessa has had only a few moments of challenging Mama. But Mama has learned to stay calm and firm and to smile! I have determined that it is me that Tessa bounces off of. Of course, I should know this already, working with children and families....but now I really, really know this. And no more rushing...my poor timing of going to Target, the Oriental store and then rushing to her swimming lesson created one unhappy Tessa. My "hurry, hurry, hurry" only slowed her down and caused her to get upset. She bounced off of me and cried the entire 20 minutes of the lesson...so it was not the big splashy end I expected. Lesson learned for Mama.

So, yes, Tessa had a full week of swimming lessons and did incredibly well. She is actually swimming already. We're doing 1 more week of lessons here at the house too. It's been a week of parks and meeting friends. She met Tom & Cindy at her first American restaurant: Flannagans and with the paint set they gave her, she painted her first picture of her family. The next day, she met her neighbors, Gina, Jackie and Maddie. Jackie is 4, but is the same size as Tessa and the had a blast at the park. They will have a long future together!!

Tessa is a real helper! She wants to help with everything: the dishes, feeding the cats and dogs. It is incredible and I am hoping it will last......On Saturday, Tessa met Betty Siu again and Maria, my SW sisters. It is confirmed, Tessa thought that Siu came over to take her away...so I recommend no Chinese friends over to the house the first few weeks home. Tessa was quiet at first, but after Siu persisted to talk to Tessa, she was non-stop. She even asked Siu "Are you the boss now?" Hmmmmm, so someone must have told I am the boss?? ok, that's good with me.

Tessa recieved her first package and she did allow Mama to help her at all. "Tessa, Tessa." She loves the dress, the outfits, barrettes and the baby doll bottle...which she uses everynight now to feed her Minnie Mouse, Mi Ya Ya and sometimes herself! Thank you Aunt Margaret and cousin Megan!!

Tessa had her first American Mall visit on Saturday. So we definitely had to dress up for the occasion because it was the first of many visits in her life. And she wore the dress fabulously!! It was a great day. Siu and Maria (with baby Sienna) met us there and we had a good time. Parenting had an event and there were lots of activities and entertainment going on. Tessa also had her first American Hotdog at Johnny Rockets and her opinion of it? "Sour." She did not eat it., but she ate all the fries!

Tessa has been asking for her ears to be like Mama's. So today, Siu asked her if she wanted her ears peirced and she said "yes." So we walked to Claires and Tessa got her ears pierced. She loves them and is already asking to wear the cloisanne earrings I got her from China. Afterwards, it was Tessa's first time in the Disney Store. "Wow" was all she kept saying. Thank you Siu and Maria for your gifts.

Tessa continues to enjoy her bike and walking the dogs. She is learning English more and more. Just today, she said over and over "oh no" I guess I say that a lot! Sounds like too much actually.

The heat here is so bad. Poor Tessa! She hates the sun and heat as much as I do. I have to remember to always bring the umbrella...I forgot it once and this contributed to a little tantrum. And the mosquitos!! She had not one mosquito bite scar on her, now she has a few.......argh!!

And the eating! I was expecting her to be eating a lot all the time. But she really isn't. She eats lots of fruit and vegetables! And eats only half of a Ramen noodle packet and continues to enjoy congee. I am very glad she doesn't like hamburgers or heavy sugared foods.

Well, we're meeting my family in Pensacola this coming up week. So it will be a big week for Tessa. Lots of pictures to follow of this sparkling gem of ours!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tessa is a brave girl to get her ears pierced so quickly. Way to go! Enjoy your trip to see family in Pensacola. We'll miss you at the luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullfrog makes a sunscreen with mosquito repellent in it and they sell it at Publix. It does not have deet in it and it WORKS. It even works at the ranch during horse riding and there are so many flies!!!!! We were at the Falls on Saturday too. Rosie was petrified of Curious George.

    ReplyDelete