I let March slip away without blogging a word or a photo, although I've taken over a hundred photos and I've written over a thousand words in my head. It has been an incredibly busy month and one where I think Tessa seems to have matured the most. Her English is remarkable and her "thinking" in an American way has really taken foot. Thankfully, tho, she continues to speak Mandarin, and continues to beg to watch Chinese TV cartoons. And, she seems to be closer to us, her Mama and Baba, than ever.
Tessa is now in soccer, started violin lessons and is back to swimming lessons. Yes, this is in addition to her piano and ballet. We are taking a break from gymnastics until soccer is over. I wanted Tessa to be in an active sport where she could run and be in the sun and she LOVES soccer! Actually, she loves everything I have put her in. I set up about 4 weeks of summer camp-swimming and violin, and I plan to relax and travel a little bit over the summer. Some would argue that I'm over doing it, but I really believe she is developing some incredible skills that will impact her entire educational future.
I've recently "really" learned how behavior is learned. Tessa's negative behavior was skyrocketing about 3-4 weeks ago. I determined it was being influenced by one of her Chinese schools. I've replaced the class with soccer and Tessa's behavior changed dramatically. Even Tessa's teacher has observed that Tessa is more of a sponge than most kids, mimicking a lot of behavior she sees in class. So it is very important that I control Tessa's environment for now until she has found her "self" and feels no need to fit in by doing what others are doing. When we are alone, she is such a warm, affectionate and bright girl. When she gets around some bratty kids, she thinks she has to be just like them. I know this is normal child behavior...I look forward to getting past this stage.
Tessa has had many play dates this month. She attended 2 Birthday parties, saw Jack in the Beanstalk (a play), went to a Brain exhibit, saw the Dragon 3-D movie, went to the Fair, went to the Zoo, and well, that's all I can think of for now....
We also had another visit with Tessa's pediatrician, who is also Chinese. She had expected that Tessa would have gained more weight and height after being on an American diet these past months, so she ordered a Bone Age x-ray. The MD had hoped that Tessa's bone age was younger than her real age. However, her bone age was pretty accurate with her real age and this resulted in a height projection of 4.10 tall or shorter! She recommended I see an Endocrinologist to ensure her hormone levels are normal. So I will, but I won't seek any growth hormone treatments.
And some good news! We found another SWI sister from BeiHai City (4 of 5). Tessa was excited and we look forward to meeting her soon!
I am loving the job and role of being a mother. I learn everyday about myself, just how really special children are and how adults really impact their future. Tessa proves to be more amazing everyday!
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love your new header and the cute picture of Tessa hugging Mocha. Tessa looks great in black and in her darling red coat. How wonderful that she loves all her after school activities. It will be fun to see another "sister" in the mix!
ReplyDeleteHope the endoctinologist is helpful. Tessa
certainly looks healthy and happy. Mothering sounds like a demanding job!
Ok if you say it has been 8 months then I guess it has but it seems like yesterday. Yesterday that is until I look at Tessa and see all the changes in her physically. Wow, she has changed, she is so happy and bubbly now. Such a gorgeous girl ( always was but now even more so).
ReplyDeleteYou guys are so busy.
Hope to see you again soon.
I am so happy to hear how well Tessa is doing. She is keeping a very busy schedule too. Our daughter is also a follower. We talk about this all the time to make sure that she understands that just because her friends are doing something, that she doesn't need to follow. Not all things they do are the right things and she needs to know which is right and which is wrong. I hope to get the opportunity to meet you and Tessa some day.
ReplyDeleteWe adopted our daughter from Beihai in 1999 when she was 9 months old. Your pictures of Tessa look shockingly similar to our daughter Carli at that age. Carli is also tiny. Projections have her reaching 4'8" to 4'10" and 85-95 lbs full grown. She is 11 years old and 52 lbs. We also had testing done and discovered she is healthy, but on a growth curve that is unique to her. She is a competitive gymnast and smart as a whip. If we could bottle and sell her energy. . . but her daddy says that anybody else would overdose on one drop of her energy. When life slows down a bit, I'll send you pictures of Carli at Tessa's age and now - giving you a bit of a glimpse into the future.
ReplyDeleteVonna - vjcmc@yahoo.com