It is 3:30 AM and both Joe and I are up.
I am thinking about Jingxin and I think Joey is just not sleepy. I posted lastnight, but I sent too many photos and I believe it did not publish. So I hope I won't be repeating anything again. I walked back to the mall yesterday afternoon. I entered the front this time and noticed that it is the Admiral City Mall and Walmart is one of very many stores inside it. I bought the Minnie Mouse from a cute small store that had popular childrens items. Not one panda bear! also got some cute stickers. I took a couple more photos.
Last eveing, we had dinner with our guide, Kathy, at the Western Cafe. Again, I enjoyed the food and getting to choose and try the many delicacies. We asked our guide many questions and she obliged us. I know I shouldn't, but I do feel some guilt about taking this beautiful child away from her country and immersing her in a world so far from her own. Kathy assured me that as long as I meet her needs for the first few days, weeks, Jingxin will do well. It is harder on the older children. But Kathy commented we seemed to be well prepared (I have Lisa and her experience, friends from Rumor Queen and the many yahoo groups to thank). She said food was a big deal and that we should not force any different foods upon her....well, I've already decided I won't be doing that. The Chinese have a very healthy diet here and I'd like to keep Jingxin on that diet as long as I can.
Kathy shared how the one child policy is changing. The government is acknowledging that one child in a family is having adverse affects...the child is usually very spoiled, does not readily share, and is selfish. The govt is easing up on the restrictions and there is more domestic adoption. I asked about the thoughts of the Chinese regarding the adoption of their children by foreignors. She said that in the bigger cities, it is common and the people are accustomed and accepting to it. They know that children will have families, have better access to education and a better chance at a sucessful future. But they do worry about the children losing their Chinese heritage and culture. In the smaller cities, such as Nanning, many are not aware of the many adoptive families and will ask many questions. But once they know, they are fine. Kathy also shared her family experiences, her parents, her work and the social system here.
So in just less than 12 hours, we will have Jingxin with us. We think that we will probably go to the Western Cafe again for dinner. We will probably be with the other families too and Jingxin will get to meet the other girls. I am very excited about her skyping with her friend and SWI sister, Jingju, who is now in Connecticut with her mother, Lisa. I hope to video that event. Joey is going to try to video our meeting...this is a big deal, since he doesnot like cameras.
I have a mixture of feelings...nervous, scared...but most of all happy! I just hope Jingxin will be as happy with us......

cant wait to see pictures tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteSandra-
ReplyDeleteI am excited to see that you are close to meeting your daughter. We were in Nanning in Feb 2009 and know exactly how you are feeling. Enjoy every minute and don't worry, once you get through the first couple of days, things go much smoother! Sending you support from Michigan...Laura C.
We are counting down the hours with you and cannot wait to see your family united forever.
ReplyDeleteSo so happy for you!!!
ReplyDeleteI am a lurker from RQ!!! I am so enjoying following your journey. Your daughter is a cutie!!! Can't wait to see the moment!!!!
ReplyDeleteKathie in NY
Sandra & Joey - It is thrilling to be hearing about the day-by-day perspective on your journey. Acknowledge that there will be bumps in the road, but try not to sweat the small stuff. ENJOY IT ALL!!!
ReplyDeleteAre you staying at the Majestic in Nanning? There is a great little park behind the hotel that we enjoyed taking our daughter to.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Val Cashman
mom to Julie Lian Kelleman age 4, from Wuzhou